07.17.16 update

Written on July 17, 2016

This week I created the jlj-installer.sh script for UNIX desktop, pushed a PR to Dreamwidth to allow JSFiddle embeds, worked on Copia.py API, and began work on a new Perl program for public bus routes. Perhaps the project that got most attention this week was the jlj-installer.sh that took up 368 lines of code. It was entirely scripted in BASH and should work on most UNIX systems (especially Debian). The script was designed to prepare for a new application in development that will fork jlj or completely redesign it.

jlj-installer.sh

######################

This is an installer for the non-standard, forked legacy jlj 2.15: the installer runs a configuration guide to setup user for jlj-legacy client. Development towards a newer client is currently undergoing. You can find the script on GitHub.

You can read more about this project in this entry and by following this tag. The plan is to change the code completely to add special features. Features I am considering now:

GUI+ (GUI with terminal -- but primarily terminal)
Text wrap
Text editor
Spell check
Backups (HTML + Markdown)
Plugin support

Next week I will provide a road map of development and begin documenting my work. This is going on while working on other programs. The expected result should be something that can be ported to Android and iPhone in the future. If it gets to this point, I will open a Patreon account to support licensing.

JSFiddle

######################

JSFiddle was a brief contribution to Dreamwidth. Dreamwidth manages all embedded content with a small list of strings. The code I contributed adds JSFiddle. This particular contribution was trickier to add than prior contributions as the URL was non-standard. I had to do some hacky stuff, but it worked out without much struggle. The commit is found on GitHub.

Copia.py

######################

This week is especially exciting for Copia.py development.

Last week I wrote some preliminary docs. I also found some API to make Copia.py work as a Perl script.

This week I was approved to use and access API from a large database of words. I’m also allowed access to offline API. This is necessary before any meaningful development could take place. Now that this is done, I can begin working on developing scripts for the API and have some working functions perhaps by the end of the month.

bus.pl

######################

I began docs and database for a bus route application. This will be released to the public later when the application is closer to being finished.


Take me home.

Check out the archive.